Family Members.

We are just as able to provide advice and representation to the families of mental health service users as we are to the service users themselves.

What we do.

We recognise that family members can find themselves in an exceptionally difficult position. Sometimes they find themselves having to fight to get care and support on behalf of a family member who isn’t able or willing to fight for it themselves. Other times, they find themselves caught in the middle of a disagreement between a patient and their care team.
We know how challenging it can be to get the services you think they need. We also know how difficult it is to tread that delicate line. On the one hand, you want to get the right level of care and support for your loved one. On the other, you don’t want to go against their wishes.
We can help by providing clear, practical - and above all else, sensitive - advice on what you can do.

We can help. Contact us today

We are a specialist law firm providing expert legal advice and representation in Mental Health Law and Court of Protection Law. Get in touch to find out how we can help you.

Our services.

At Butler & Co Solicitors, we are a progressive firm with lots of experience advising the parents, children, and siblings of patients. Some particular areas we can advise on are:

Legal advice for family members

The rights and powers of a nearest relative.

We can advise on whether you would be regarded as the patient’s ‘nearest relative’ for the purposes of the Mental Health Act 1983. If you are the nearest relative, we can provide comprehensive advice on your rights and responsibilities in this role.

Legal advice for family members

Discharging a relative from hospital.

If you are a detained patient’s nearest relative, we can advise on what steps you can take to discharge the patient.

Created by potrace 1.11, written by Peter Selinger 2001-2013

Legal advice for family members

Admitting a family member to hospital.

Where you have a family member who you thinks needs urgent admission to hospital for psychiatric treatment, we can advise on the appropriate steps to take.

Legal advice for family members

Getting care or treatment for a family member.

If you have a family member who is not getting the care or treatment they need, it may feel like you are banging your head against a brick wall trying to get someone to take responsibility. We can assist you. 
We can help in identifying the appropriate authority to contact and then advising on the steps that need taking. We have huge experience supporting family members fighting for better care and treatment for their parents, children, or siblings.

Learning disability support.

We are often instructed to act by family members of a person with a learning disability as they try to ensure that steps are necessary steps are taken to maximise that person’s independence.